Hamilton Police Provide Crime PreventionTips to Business Owners
This year Hamilton Police Detectives have investigated a number of commercial businesses entries where Automated Teller Machines were the target. This type of offence is not specific to Hamilton. Similarities have been identified in many of the occurrences, the most common issue, ATMs located within plain view of a door or window allowing quick and easy access.
The following tips are being provided in an attempt to deter criminal activity:
- Where possible, place the ATM in an area of the store that is not easily accessible or visible from a door or window.
- Maintain ATMs with a minimum amount of currency.
- Ensure existing video surveillance systems are functional and equipped to capture the interior and exterior of the business.
- Consider the installation of bollards and or concrete parking curbs outside windows and doors to prevent access into the business by vehicles.
- Remove any excess signage from windows and doors, allowing potential witnesses a better view of the business's interior.
- Utilize exterior lighting to encourage witnesses.
Implementing the above tips is not a guarantee to stop crime; however, they will lessen the likelihood of becoming a victim by making the business less attractive to the criminal element.
For additional tips on Crime Prevention please access the following link: https://bit.ly/2Nm4LVa
If you have any information that you believe could assist Police with the investigation into any commercial business entries you are asked to contact Detective Sergeant Emidio Evangelista at 905-546-299 or Detective Constable Shannon McLean at 905-546-8938.
To provide information anonymously call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or submit your anonymous tips online at http://www.crimestoppershamilton.com