Online Police Reporting Frequently Asked Questions

Question What do I do if online incident reporting is not suitable for what I need to report?
Answer If your incident is an emergency, call 911. If non-emergency call 905-546-4925.


Question What if this happened in another city? Can I file a report using this online police citizen reporting system?
Answer No, if a crime took place outside the City of Hamilton, please report this to the police service for that jurisdiction. If they do not offer online reporting, you will have to contact them by telephone


Question What if this happened on a provincial highway (i.e. 403 or QEW)?
Answer If this took place on a provincial highway, please report this incident to the Ontario Provincial Police.


Question What is a known suspect?
Answer A known suspect is when you or someone else knows the person or where to find the person who committed the crime or the license plate number of the vehicle the suspect(s) were in.


Question Can I report a lost passport or other government--issued ID using the ONLINE system?

You may report a crime that led to the theft or loss of your government ID, such as your car being broken into and your ID taken. However, please be aware that you still must report the loss or theft of government ID to the issuing agency (i.e. Service Ontario, Passport Canada) in order to obtain a replacement. In most instances these agencies do not require a police report to be filed. By reporting the criminal incident it allows the Hamilton Police Service to identify crime trends in our neighbourhoods and capture statistical data. The police will not capture the loss of the government ID on police computer systems.

If you are reporting a lost or stolen FOREIGN passport, you must attend a police station in person to speak with an officer. You can call (905) 546-4925 for more information.


Question What if I have located or recovered property that I had previously reported lost or stolen ONLINE?
Answer You can click on and complete a 'Supplementary Report'. Please include the incident number and a description or details on the property you have recovered.


Question In what languages can I submit a report?
Answer Only English at this time



Close this FAQ Page