What is Sexual Assault?
Sexual Assault is an assault of a sexual nature that violates the sexual integrity of a victim. This includes any act of a sexual nature and does not depend solely on contact with any specific part of the human anatomy.
Relevant Factors Include:
- The part of the body touched
- The nature of the contact
- The situation in which the contact occurred
- The words and gestures accompanying the act
- All other circumstances surrounding the act
- Any threats that may or may not be accompanied by force
The victim of a sexual assault can be anyone, regardless of age, gender, income level, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, culture or religion.
In domestic situations, a spouse may be charged with a sexual assault upon the other spouse.
Sexual Assault with a Weapon/Threats to a Third Party/Causing Bodily Harm
A sexual assault while the perpetrator:
- Carries, uses or threatens to use a weapon or an imitation of a weapon
- Threatens to cause bodily harm to a person other than the complainant
- Causes bodily harm to the complainant, or
- Is a party to the offence with any other person
Aggravated Sexual Assault Section 273
In committing a sexual assault, the perpetrator:
- Wounds, maims, disfigures or endangers the life of the complainant.
Reporting a Sexual Assault
The Hamilton Police Service has a unit specifically mandated and specifically trained to investigate sexual assaults. If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, report it by contacting 905-546-4925.
Historical Sexual Assaults
A historical sexual assault is a sexual assault that is reported to police over one year from when the offence occurred. If you wish, your initial report to police can be taken over the telephone.
To report a historical sexual assault involving a victim that is 16 years of age at the time of reporting, please contact the Sexual Assault Unit directly at 905-540-5543.
Investigations involving victims under the age of sixteen at the time of reporting are investigated by members of the Child Abuse Branch. To report a historical sexual assault upon a victim that is less than 16 years of age, please contact 905-546-4925.
|Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Care Centre||905-521-2100 ext.73557|
|SACHA Sexual Assault Centre||905-525-4162|
Drug Facilitated Sexual Assault (PDF 225 KB)
- Date modified: