Sexual Assault is an assault of a sexual nature that violates the sexual integrity of a victim. This includes any act of a sexual nature and does not depend solely on contact with any specific part of the human anatomy.
Relevant Factors Include:
- The part of the body touched
- The nature of the contact
- The situation in which the contact occurred
- The words and gestures accompanying the act
- All other circumstances surrounding the act
- Any threats that may or may not be accompanied by force
The victim of a sexual assault can be anyone, regardless of age, gender, income level, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, culture or religion.
What if the sexual assault involved an intimate partner?
In domestic situations, a spouse may be charged with a sexual assault upon the other spouse.
How do I report a sexual assault?
Hamilton Police Service has a unit specifically mandated and trained to investigate sexual assaults. If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, report it by contacting 905-546-4925.
If you are the survivor of sexual assault, you can also report the incident online if:
- You are not in danger
- The person who assaulted you is not present
- There is no evidence present that may be collected by police (blood, semen, saliva, etc.). Evidence can be collected for up to 12 days after the sexual assault has occurred.
- You have access to a private email address, to which the suspect does not have access
Filing a false police report is a crime.
Please disable any pop-up blocking software or plug-in before filing an online report.
What if the sexual assault is historical?
A historical sexual assault is a sexual assault that is reported to police over one year from when the offence occurred. If you wish, your initial report to police can be taken over the telephone.
To report a historical sexual assault involving a victim that is 16 years of age at the time of reporting, please contact the Sexual Assault Unit directly at 905-540-5553.
Investigations involving victims under the age of sixteen at the time of reporting are investigated by members of the Child Abuse Branch. To report a historical sexual assault upon a victim that is less than 16 years of age, please contact 905-546-4925.
Sexual Assault Support Program
The Victim Services Branch now offers support to victims/survivors of sexual violence throughout the investigative process in collaboration with the Sexual Assault Unit. Supports can include: emotional support, safety planning, practical assistance, and connection to community resources. We also offer the option of having Victim Services support during the police interview.
Please call 905-546-4904 for more information.
- Date modified: