Intimate Partner Violence

The earlier you recognize signs of abuse or obsessiveness, the better. Don't wait to seek help. Intimate partner violence is not always obvious to those around you, as abusers can usually control their behaviour in public and leave marks in less visible areas of the body.

Ask for Help

If you think you may be a victim of family or intimate partner violence, call our Hamilton Police 905-546-4925.

Below are different ways that you can identify abuse, helpful resources and services for victims, and how the police will intervene.

The key to stopping abuse is recognizing the signs and preventing it before it starts. You may be in an abusive relationship if you answer yes to any of these statements:

Do You Feel?

  • You are being treated as a child, servant or possession.
  • Powerless and embarrassed.
  • Afraid of your partner.
  • That you deserve to be hurt or mistreated.
  • Isolated.

Does Your Partner?

  • Treat you like a possession or sex object.
  • Make decisions for you and the family, telling you what to do and expects you to obey.
  • Use insults, name-calling and public put-downs.
  • Stop you from seeing friends and family, keeps you from going out, and constantly checks up on you.
  • Threaten to hurt/kill you or the children.
  • Threaten to commit suicide or file charges against you.
  • Break things in front of you, hurt pets or put weapons on display to scare you.
  • Blame you for their behaviour, or blame their childhood; they may deny it has occurred or say they were having a bad day as an excuse.

Call these 24/7 agencies for help.

Hamilton Police Service

If this is an emergency, call 9-1-1.  For non-emergencies, call 905-546-4925 to speak to one of our officers.

Hamilton Police Victim Services Branch

Call 905-546-4904 or visit the Victim Services Branch for crisis counselling, accessing transitional support, shelter information and/or developing a safety plan for you.

Assaulted Women’s Helpline

The Assaulted Women’s Helpline offers a 24-hour telephone and crisis line for abused women in Ontario.

  • 1-866-863-0511 
  • TTY 1-866-863-7868 

A safety plan involves identifying the steps you and your children will take to be safe, and to prepare for the possibility of violence in the future. Have a safety strategy for you and your children. 

Below are some suggestions that might be helpful to you. Take one action at a time and start with the one that is easiest and safest for you.

  • Tell someone you trust about the abuse.
  • Think about your partner’s past use and level of force. This will help you predict what type of danger you and your children are facing and when to leave.
  • Tell your children that abuse is never right, even when someone they love is being abusive. Tell them the abuse isn't your fault or their fault; they did not cause it, and neither did you. Teach them it is important to keep safe when there is abuse.
  • Plan where to go in an emergency. Teach your children how to get help. Tell them not to get between you and your partner if there is violence. Plan a code word to signal they should get help or leave.
  • Don’t run to a place where the children are, as your partner may hurt them as well.
  • Create a plan to get out of your home safely and practice it with your children.
  • Ask your neighbours, friends and family to call the police if they hear sounds of abuse and to look after your children in an emergency.
  • If an argument is developing, move to a space where you can get outside easily.
  • Don’t go to a room where there is access to potential weapons (e.g. kitchen, workshop, bathroom).
  • If you are being hurt, protect your face with your arms around each side of your head, with your fingers locked together. Don’t wear scarves or long jewelry.
  • Hide your keys, cell phone and some money near your escape route.
  • Your local shelter or police may be able to equip you with a panic button/cell phone.
  • Make sure all weapons and ammunition are hidden or removed from your home.
  • Contact the police or a local women’s shelter. Let the staff know that you intend to leave an abusive situation and ask for support in safety planning. Ask for an officer who specializes in woman abuse cases (information shared with the police may result in charges being laid against the abuser).
  • If you are injured, go to a doctor or an emergency room and report what happened to you. Ask them to document your visit.
  • Gather important documents - identification, bank cards, financial papers related to family assets, last Canada Income Tax Return, keys, medication, pictures of the abuser and your children, passports, health cards, personal address/telephone book, cell phone, and legal documents (e.g. immigration papers, house deed/lease, restraining orders/peace bonds).
  • If you can’t keep these things stored in your home for fear your partner will find them, consider making copies and leave them with someone you trust. Your local women’s shelter will also keep them for you.
  • Consult a lawyer. Keep any evidence of physical abuse (such as photos). Keep a journal of all violent incidents, noting dates, events, threats and any witnesses.
  • Put together pictures, jewelry and objects of sentimental value, as well as toys and comforts for your children.
  • Arrange with someone to care for your pets temporarily, until you get settled. A shelter may help with this.
  • Remember to clear your phone of the last number you called to avoid his utilizing redial.
  • Request a police escort or ask a friend, neighbour or family member to accompany you when you leave.
  • Contact your local women’s shelter. It may be a safer temporary spot than going to a place your partner knows.
  • Do not tell your partner you are leaving.
  • Leave quickly.
  • Have a back-up plan if your partner finds out where you are going.
  • Visit the closest police station and ask to speak to an officer who specializes in woman abuse cases.
  • Consider applying for a restraining order or peace bond that may help keep your partner away from you and your children. Keep it with you at all times.
  • Provide police with a copy of any legal orders you have.
  • Consult a lawyer or legal aid clinic about actions to protect yourself or your children. Let your lawyer know if there are any Criminal Court proceedings.
  • Consider changing any service provider that you share with your ex-partner.
  • Obtain an unlisted telephone number, get caller ID and block your number when calling out.
  • Make sure your children’s school or day care centre is aware of the situation and has copies of all relevant documents.
  • Carry a photo of the abuser and your children with you.
  • Ask your neighbours to look after your children in an emergency and to call the police if they see the abuser.
  • Take extra precautions at work, at home and in the community. Consider telling your supervisor at work about your situation.
  • Think about places and patterns that your ex-partner will know about and try to change them. For example, consider using a different grocery store or place of worship.
  • If you feel unsafe walking alone, ask a neighbour, friend or family member to accompany you.
  • Do not return to your home unless accompanied by the police. Never confront the abuser.