The Office of the Independent Police Review Director is responsible for public complaints against Ontario's police. To file a complaint, please visit their website at: www.oiprd.on.ca
If you feel that you have a complaint about the conduct of a Police Officer or about the services or policy of the Hamilton Police Service, you can choose to file a formal complaint. It is only by bringing your concerns to our attention that we can effectively address them.
All complaints are investigated thoroughly and when appropriate, we encourage their resolution through mediation or other informal means. Our goal is to ensure the satisfaction of both parties.
The Police Services Act establishes a partnership between the Hamilton Police Service, the Police Services Board, members of the public and the Office of the Independent Police Review Director (OIPRD).
The emphasis of the "Complaints" portion of the Act is to resolve complaints in a timely, professional, and where possible, to be resolved by local resolution and/or informal resolution.
The Professional Standards Branch investigates public complaints assigned by the OIPRD regarding:
- conduct complaints filed pursuant to Part V of the Police Services Act,
- complaints about the service, provided by the Hamilton Police Service,
- complaints about the policies of the Police Service,
The Hamilton Police Service Professional Standards Branch also investigates complaints and serious discipline issues concerning non-sworn members,
We can assure you that your complaint will be investigated thoroughly and impartially.
The Professional Standards Branch is located at the Multi-agency Centre building at the new Multi-agency Training Centre located on Stone Church Rd.E at Nebo Rd. It is open Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. There is on-site parking.
Our office is situated here to enhance accessibility and comfort level for persons wishing to file public complaints. You may still attend at any police station in Hamilton to file your complaint, but as a way of better serving our community we now offer a location away from a police station.
If you wish to file a public complaint you may:
- attend any of the police stations at the addresses listed below and speak to the on-duty Staff Sergeant
- you can submit a written complaint by mail: Hamilton Police Service, 155 King William St., Box 1060, LCD1 Hamilton, ON L8N 4C1
- you also have the option of using a standard Public Complaint form, located at all stations in Hamilton.
- you can access www.OIPRD.on.ca.
- Date modified: