Accident Reporting

The Highway Traffic Act (HTA) requires that all collisions where persons are injured, or damage is valued at more than $2,000 to vehicles or property, or the collision results in damage to any highway property, must be reported to police.

In Hamilton, police no longer attend the scene of property damage collisions. Accidents can be reported at Collision Reporting Centres at the following locations:


Division 20 – East End Station                                                    Division 30 – Mountain Station

2825 King Street, Hamilton                                                            400 Rymal Rd E
Phone:  (905) 560-0510                                                                  Phone:  (905) 385-2426
Monday to Friday - 10:00 a.m. to 06:00 p.m.                              Monday to Friday - 08:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.                                                                                                      (Saturday & Sunday – Closed)                                                      Saturday & Sunday - 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.                                                                                       


  • Involves injury or death
  • Criminal activity is involved
  • Involves Federal, Provincial or Municipal vehicles
  • Involves vehicles transporting dangerous goods
  • Involves a person who is uninsured or is a suspended driver
  • Involves damage to private, municipal, or highway property
  • Involves bicycles or pedestrians
  • Exchange information with the other involved parties (name, driver license number, address, phone number, insurance and vehicle particulars such as plate, make, model, year)
  • Obtain the name and phone number of any independent witnesses.
  • Attend with your vehicle, to one of the Collision Reporting Centres listed above.
  • Ensure that you have your documentation to report the collision.
  • Upon arrival to the Collision Reporting Centre, you will be given a self-report form to complete.
  • The Police will request your driver’s license, vehicle ownership, and insurance liability card. Please have these available.
  • Your vehicle will be inspected and a Damage Reported sticker will be applied to the damaged area, and it will be photographed.

The Damage Reported sticker indicates that the damage or loss has been reported to the Police. It should not be removed until the damage or loss is reported to your insurance company and repaired.

For more information, please visit the Accident Support Services website at:

You will need to attend the Records Business Centre located at Central Station to complete a Consent to Release form. The cost is $50 plus HST. We will need to confirm your identity at the time the request is submitted.

If you are seeking driver/witness statements from a Motor Vehicle Collision report, you will have to make this request separately from Motor Vehicle Collision report. The cost of driver/witness statement is $50 plus HST.

A photocopy of the actual accident report will be mailed to you with addresses of witnesses severed from the report

If your lawyer or insurance company is making the request on your behalf, a Consent to Release form with your signature is still required.