Obtaining a Motor Vehicle Collision Report

  • Call 9-1-1- if you believe that any of the following situations may apply: 
  1. Any injuries 
  2. A possible criminal offence has occurred (e.g. impaired driving)
  3. A pedestrian or cyclist involved 
  4. Damage to private property 
  5. A government vehicle is involved
  • If police attend the collision scene, ask for the officer’s name, badge number, and an incident number. Responding officers may direct you to report the collision at a collision-reporting centre. 
  • If damage is less than $2,000 to any involved vehicles and none of the above-mentioned situations applies, a police report is not required. Exchange drivers’ licence, ownership, and insurance information with involved drivers and you can report directly to your insurance company with the information obtained.

Information on an accident report will only be released to:

  • The person or company directly involved
  • The law firm whose client is directly involved
  • The insurance company whose insured is directly involved
If you are making a personal request for any collision reports or statements, you will be required to attend the Records Department located at the Central Police Station, 155 King William Street, Hamilton. The Records Department is open Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm. 


Please bring the following with you: 

  • Two pieces of ID – one photo ID (drivers’ licence, passport, etc.) 
  • Method of payment: cash, debit, Visa, or MasterCard (personal cheques are not accepted)
  • The occurrence number or collision date 
A written request letter must be submitted via mail. You must also include your client's Authorization and Direction (law firms) or an HPS Request/Consent and Direction (insurance companies). A link to the HPS Request/Consent and Direction is provided at the bottom of this webpage.
  • Client's information
  • General occurrence number (if available)
  • Date and location of incident
  • Reporting officer's name and badge number (if available)

The request must also include a valid email address and the appropriate fees, paid in full. Cheques are payable to “Hamilton Police Service" and should be mailed to:
Hamilton Police Service
155 King William St
Hamilton, ON L8R 1A7
Att: MVC Clerk

Once prepared, your documents will be mailed to you. Any witness information (except for the individual’s name) will be severed from the report.

If you have any questions, please contact the Motor Vehicle Collision Clerk at (905) 546-4987.

Copies of collision reports and driver/witness statements are provided in accordance with a fee schedule. As of January 1, 2022, the current costs are as follows: 

  • Motor Vehicle Collision (MVC) Report     $50.00 + HST = $56.50
  • Self-Reporting Collision (SRC) Report     $50.00 + HST = $56.50
  • Driver/Witness Statements                       $50.00 + HST = $56.50
  • Officer’s Notes in relation to MVC            $ 5.00 – Freedom of Information Application Fee

Please note that records cannot be released if the matter is currently before the courts or the 30-day appeal period has not passed, if applicable.

When you attend one of our collision reporting centres, please remember to bring the involved vehicle with you, as it will need to be photographed.


There are two collision-reporting centres in Hamilton to serve you. You may report your collision at either one.  

2825 King Street East         400 Rymal Road East 
Hamilton, ON L8G 1J6        Hamilton, ON L9B 1C2
Ph: (905) 560-0510             Ph: (905) 385-2426
Fax: (905) 560-0509            Fax: (905) 385-2567
Mon-Fri: 10am – 6pm         Mon-Fri: 8am – 8pm

Due to the collision reporting process, please ensure that you attend the collision reporting centre at least 1 ½ hours before closing, if possible. This will ensure that the staff has enough Individuals

Request - Consent and Direction Application.pdf (183 KB)