Obtaining a Motor Vehicle Collision Report
What to do when you are involved in a motor vehicle collision
- Call 9-1-1- if you believe that any of the following situations may apply:
- Any injuries
- A possible criminal offence has occurred (e.g. impaired driving)
- A pedestrian or cyclist involved
- Damage to private property
- A government vehicle is involved
- If police attend the collision scene, ask for the officer’s name, badge number, and an incident number. Responding officers may direct you to report the collision at a collision-reporting centre.
- If damage is less than $2,000 to any involved vehicles and none of the above-mentioned situations applies, a police report is not required. Exchange drivers’ licence, ownership, and insurance information with involved drivers and you can report directly to your insurance company with the information obtained.
Obtaining a copy of a Collision Report or Witness Statements
Information on an accident report will only be released to:
- The person or company directly involved
- The law firm whose client is directly involved
- The insurance company whose insured is directly involved
Please bring the following with you:
- Two pieces of ID – one photo ID (drivers’ licence, passport, etc.)
- Method of payment: cash, debit, Visa, or MasterCard (personal cheques are not accepted)
- The occurrence number or collision date
Law Firms/Insurance Companies
- Client's information
- General occurrence number (if available)
- Date and location of incident
- Reporting officer's name and badge number (if available)
The request must also include a valid email address and the appropriate fees, paid in full. Cheques are payable to “Hamilton Police Service" and should be mailed to:
Hamilton Police Service
155 King William St
Hamilton, ON L8R 1A7
Att: MVC Clerk
Once prepared, your documents will be mailed to you. Any witness information (except for the individual’s name) will be severed from the report.
If you have any questions, please contact the Motor Vehicle Collision Clerk at (905) 546-4987.
Fees for MVC Report/Witness Statements
Copies of collision reports and driver/witness statements are provided in accordance with a fee schedule. As of January 1, 2022, the current costs are as follows:
- Motor Vehicle Collision (MVC) Report $50.00 + HST = $56.50
- Self-Reporting Collision (SRC) Report $50.00 + HST = $56.50
- Driver/Witness Statements $50.00 + HST = $56.50
- Officer’s Notes in relation to MVC $ 5.00 – Freedom of Information Application Fee
Please note that records cannot be released if the matter is currently before the courts or the 30-day appeal period has not passed, if applicable.
Collision Reporting Centres
When you attend one of our collision reporting centres, please remember to bring the involved vehicle with you, as it will need to be photographed.
There are two collision-reporting centres in Hamilton to serve you. You may report your collision at either one.
HAMILTON EAST HAMILTON MOUNTAIN
2825 King Street East 400 Rymal Road East
Hamilton, ON L8G 1J6 Hamilton, ON L9B 1C2
Ph: (905) 560-0510 Ph: (905) 385-2426
Fax: (905) 560-0509 Fax: (905) 385-2567
Mon-Fri: 10am – 6pm Mon-Fri: 10am – 6pm
Due to the collision reporting process, please ensure that you attend the collision reporting centre at least 1 ½ hours before closing, if possible. This will ensure that the staff has enough Individuals
- Date modified: