A paid duty officer is an off-duty police officer performing policing duties for an individual or organization other than Hamilton Police Service. Paid duty officers are assigned by the police service, and may be arranged to serve a variety of functions such as traffic direction or security, at a variety of different functions, including weddings, banquets and other special events.
If your event takes place on City of Hamilton property, you will be required to apply for approval from the Special Events Advisory Team (SEAT). This group is an inter-departmental event approval body mandated by Hamilton City Council. For more information on planning an event, please visit the City of Hamilton website
To request a paid duty, please see below.
For a paid duty occurring on or after October 2nd, 2022, please click on the link below to create an account and submit your request.
Paid Duty Office at 905-546-4366 or Special Events at 905-546-4758
Monday- Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
After Hours (Urgent Requests) 905-546-4725 to speak to the on-duty Staff Sergeant.
What are the Terms for Hiring a Paid Duty Officer?
- Events must be held within the City of Hamilton.
- A minimum of one week advanced booking notice is strongly recommended.
- A three hour minimum charge, per officer, applies for all events. Please note, part hours are invoiced as full hours.
- The number of officers required for an event will be assessed according to the nature of the duties. Alcohol-related events require the minimum of two officers.
- A 24-hour cancellation policy is in effect. Paid duties not cancelled within that time are subject to a minimum three hour payment for each officer booked for the paid duty.
- A 20 per cent administration fee and HST is applied
How Do I Pay for a Paid Duty Officer?
Payment is due and payable in full upon completion of the Paid Duty. In some cases, payment may be required before the event.
Payment can be made by cheque to:
Paid Duty Coordinator
Hamilton Police Service
155 King William Street
Hamilton, ON L8R 1A7
Credit card payments (Mastercard/VISA only) are accepted by calling 905-546-4366. For any paid duty after October 2nd, an option to pay by credit card online will be included in your invoice.
- Date modified: