The Forensic Services Branch provides support to all Divisions and Units of the Hamilton Police Service. Its primary role is examining, collecting, and processing evidence found at crime scenes and any evidence turned over to Forensic Investigators.
Some of the responsibilities include:
- Recording crimes scenes and evidence through photography, videography, and crime scene drawings
- Examining crimes scenes for physical evidence
- Examining scenes and exhibits for impression evidence (fingerprints, footwear, tire tracks, tool marks)
- Comparing developed impressions to known offenders
- Collecting and submitting trace evidence (DNA, hair, fibres) to the Centre of Forensic Sciences (CFS)
- Submitting unknown samples (liquids, powders, vapours) to the appropriate laboratories include the CFS and Health Canada
- Prepare forensic cases for court and provide expert testimony
Detectives work between 7:00 am and 4:00 am. They drive marked vans and attend all major crime scenes and will assist with other calls for service as required.
- Date modified: