Within the past week the Hamilton Police Service has responded to two separate incidents where children under the age of five have fallen out of second floor windows.
In both incidents the children were playing in a second floor room with other children when they fell through the screen, landing on the ground below.
Both children suffered non-life-threatening injuries and are expected to make a full recovery.
The Hamilton Police Service wants to remind citizens to ensure their windows and screens are secure and never depend on a screen to prevent children from falling out of the window.
Some measures that can be used to prevent these types of falls are:
- Keep furniture away from windows.
- Install window guards. Ensure that window guards can easily be opened by an older child or adult in case of a fire.
- Install window stops. Window stops prevent the windows from opening more than a few inches.
- Whenever possible open windows from the top, not the bottom.
- Regularly inspect screens and windows to ensure they are functioning properly.