A paid duty officer is an off-duty police officer performing policing duties for an individual or organization other than Hamilton Police Service. Paid duty officers are assigned by the police service, and may be arranged to serve a variety of functions such as traffic direction or security, at a variety of different functions, including weddings, banquets and other special events.
For more information on hosting an event in Hamilton, please visit the City of Hamilton Event Planning Page Event Planning Information | City of Hamilton
For information regarding filming in the City of Hamilton, please visit the City of Hamilton’s Film Permit Page Apply for a Film Permit | City of Hamilton
To request a paid duty, please complete the form below and email it directly to the paid duty office: [email protected]
To review the Paid Duty Contract, click here
Paid Duty Office at 905-546-4366 or Special Events at 905-546-4758
Monday- Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
After Hours (Urgent Requests) 905-546-4725 to speak to the on-duty Staff Sergeant.
What are the Terms for Hiring a Paid Duty Officer?
- Events must be held within the City of Hamilton.
- Requests must be submitted a minimum of 5 business days before the event or 10 business days for film SPFX requests.
- A three-hour minimum charge, per officer, applies for all events. Please note, part hours are invoiced as full hours.
- The number of officers required for an event will be assessed according to the nature of the duties. Alcohol-related events require a minimum of two officers.
- A 24-hour cancellation policy is in effect. Paid duties not cancelled within that time are subject to a minimum three-hour payment for each officer booked for the paid duty.
- A 20 percent administration fee and HST are applied
How Do I Pay for a Paid Duty Officer?
Payment is due and payable in full upon completion of the Paid Duty. In some cases, payment may be required before the event.
Payment can be made by cheque to:
Hamilton Police Service
155 King William Street
Hamilton, ON L8R 1A7
Attention: Paid Duty Coordinator
Credit card payments (Mastercard/VISA only) are accepted by calling 905-546-4366.
Current Paid Duties Rates
Personnel Rates effective November 26, 2023 – 3 Hour Minimum
- Police Constable $78.67
- Sergeant $91.26
- Staff Sergeant $101.09
- Communications Personnel $71.88
Equipment Rates effective January 17, 2022 – 3 Hour Minimum unless noted
- Cruiser $35
- Motorcycle $35
- Bicycle $21 (per assignment)
- Police Boat $75
*All rates subject to change
To get an estimate of your event cost, use this PaidDuties Calculator
Approved Paid Duties Assignments
- Festivals / Concerts / Theatres
- Private Businesses (traffic/security)
- Film Shoots – Security, Traffic, and special effects
- Dances – with and without alcohol
- Sporting Events
- Wedding Security
- Hotel Security
- Wide load escorts
- Traffic Direction
- Mall Security
- Private events – product demonstrations, sales events
- Beer and Liquor stores – traffic, security
- Road races
- Location moves by financial institutions
- Pyrotechnic displays
- Funeral, race, or parade escorts
- Date modified: