Text with 9-1-1 (T9-1-1)
The Hamilton Police Service now offers Text with 911 service to persons who are Deaf, Deafened, Hard of Hearing or Speech Impaired (DHHSI). To initiate this service, DHHSI persons must:
- Have a compatible cell phone and active wireless subscription. Generally, 3G, 4G and GSM phones will support Text with 9-1-1. It is recommended that users contact their wireless provider to confirm their cell model is supported.
- Register with their wireless service provider to enable this service.
To use this service:
- Users will continue to call 9-1-1. A text sent to the digits 9-1-1 will not be delivered to emergency services.
- As the 9-1-1 operator answers the call normally, they will also receive a notification that this caller’s phone is registered with the Text with 9-1-1 service.
- If no answer to the operator’s voice question is received, the operator will then begin sending text messages to the registered phone.
In Canada, Text with 9-1-1 (T9-1-1) is only available to the DHHSI community, For more information about T9-1-1, including instructional videos in American Sign Language (ASL) visit www.textwith911.ca
- Date modified: