The Hamilton Police Service wants to remind you to stay safe when enjoying recreational activities near any body of water.
Please note, that all parties operating a boat on all waterways in Canada must have The Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card (PCOC) as prescribed in the Canada Shipping Act.
Before heading out on the water, check out these boating safety tips
- Know the boating laws and regulations
- Ensure that your body is in good operating condition
- Keep extra fuel on hand
- Ensure that you have paddles, a bail bucket, whistles, flares in your vessel
- Check the weather conditions – consider visibility conditions (fog, darkness, currents)
- Do not boat alone
- All parties on board should wear a properly fitted life jacket – the law requires you to have enough life jackets for each person on board.
- Ensure you have a first aid kit on board
- Wear appropriate clothing
- Put on sunscreen
- Bring a cellular phone in the event of an emergency
- Do not drive at excessive speeds
- Do NOT operate a water vessel under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Boating while impaired is an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada.
SAFE BOATING GUIDE – TRANSPORT CANADA: Safe Boating Guide
- Date modified: