Criminals often target vehicles that are unlocked and/or vehicles which display valuable contents inside. Take the time to properly secure your property and prevent a vehicle entry from happing to you!
Tips to help decrease the opportunity for criminals to steal from your vehicle
- Always remove the keys, roll up the windows and lock your vehicle when it’s unattended.
- Do not leave valuable items in your vehicle; however, if this is unavoidable, ensure valuables are concealed from plain view.
- Don’t leave personal identification, credit cards, vehicle registration or insurance slips in your vehicle.
- Park in well lit areas – if you park in your driveway or carport, try to leave the outside lights on home throughout the night, or install a motion light.
- Do not leave a garage door opener in your vehicle – this may provide the suspect access into your home.
- Consider installing an alarm/anti-theft device on your vehicle.
If your vehicle has been broken into:
Report it to the police at (905)546-4925. Have the following vehicle information ready:
- Plate number
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Insurance company & policy number
- List of contents of the vehicle
- Date modified: