The Hamilton Police Service believes strongly in Community Policing – a philosophy that promotes working closely with members of the public to address problems or needs within the community.
The Hamilton Police Service recognizes the importance of their volunteers and their role within our city. Our volunteers are actively involved in various programs and are heavily relied upon to carry out a variety of functions within our organization.
- Volunteer in one of our Crime Prevention Centres. Over 250 volunteers work within their community on crime prevention initiatives. If you have any questions please contact the CPC Volunteer Administrator, (905) 546-3397.
- Volunteer with Victim Services over 80 volunteers are fully trained to respond in crisis situations. Click here to see a sample job posting.
- Join our Auxiliary Police; you will serve in uniform, patrolling with regular officers and helping in large public events.
- Join an Advisory Commitee. HPS has a variety of advisory committees, which may have vacancies from time to time.
If you are interested in joining one of the Police Advisory Committees, please call
|Chief's Citizen Advisory Committee||(905)546-4707|
|Central Superintendent's Advisory Committee||(905)546-4945|
|East End Superintendent's Advisory Committee||(905)546-2901|
|Mountain-Dundas Superintendent's Advisory Committee||(905)546-3804|
Please note that all volunteers will receive training through the Police Service and the Policing Centre Volunteer Coordinator.
To be a volunteer, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Submit to police records background security check.
- Attend an in-person interview.
- Commit to a minimum of 12 hours per month during various hours from Monday to Saturday.
How do I apply?
Individuals can apply for positions with Victim Services and HPS Auxiliary through formal job postings on the City of Hamilton "Jobs " website:
You can also download a copy here: Volunteer Application Package.pdf (81 KB)
Community Policing Centres are located at:
Barton St. Crime Prevention Centre
460 Barton St.E.
Hamiton, ON L8L 2Y8
Ancaster Prevention Centre
314 Wilson St E
Ancaster, ON L9G 2B9
- Date modified: