The mission of the Hamilton Police Service is to serve and protect in partnership with our communities.  To help accomplish this, the Hamilton Police Service wants you to report crime.

All requests requiring immediate attention must be directed to 911(emergency) or (905) 546-4925 (switchboard - non-emergency).


9-1-1 is a three-digit telephone number that connects callers with trained emergency operators.

Call 9-1-1 for medical, fire and police emergencies including crimes in progress.

The 9-1-1 operator will first ask you what emergency service you want (police, fire or ambulance). If you ask for the police, the operator will help you.  If you ask for fire or ambulance, the operator will transfer you to an emergency operator at fire or ambulance. 

  • The transfer will take a few seconds
  • Stay on the line, do NOT hang up
  • Stay calm
  • Be prepared to tell the operator what your emergency is

An emergency is any situation where people’s safety or property is immediately at risk.

It is important that you only call 9-1-1 in emergency situations as using 911 for non-emergency situations limits access to the system.

Mobile Response

A mobile response will be provided for:

  • Crimes in progress (against persons and property);
  • Incidents where people’s safety is at risk;
  • Incidents where suspects are at the scene or in the immediate area;
  • Incidents where there is significant physical evidence to be gathered;

Telephone Reporting

HPS has a Call Management Branch (CMB) that takes reports over the telephone.  Certain non-emergency incidents have been identified that the report can be taken by telephone. The Communications Call Taker will take your name, address and phone number and send it to the CMB.  Someone from the CMB will telephone you back to take the report.  

  • A report does not exist until you talk to someone from the CMB;
  • You must have a return phone number available for the CMB to call you back;
  • Try to keep your phone line clear so the CMB can reach you;


Some non-urgent reports can’t be taken by telephone.  For these reports the Communications Call Taker will direct you to attend the closest police station for the report. Examples include:

  • lost or stolen drugs,
  • cheques or passports and
  • fraud reports.

NEW! Online Reporting

The Hamilton Police Service now supports Online Reporting for the following incidents :

  • Mischief to Property Under $5,000
  • Mischief to Vehicle Under $5,000
  • Theft under $5,000
  • Theft from Vehicle under $5,000
  • Lost Property

Incidents involving suspects cannot be reported online.

If you believe your incident qualifies to be reported using our online system, click here for more information.


Non Emergency Phone Numbers




(905) 546-4925

(905) 546- 3333

(905) 574-1414

Press 2 then 3 for an operator

Press 5 for an operator



Other Useful Telephone Numbers / Services


Call the OPP to report traffic matters on the QEW or 400 Highways in Hamilton.

*OPP on cellular phones




Call the City for any of the following complaints. 



After hours


Barking Dogs ( for barking dogs, abandones / stray animals)


HAMILTON / BURLINGTON SPCA ( for animal cruelty, abuse, care)



Sundays & holidays




(905) 546-CITY (2489)






(905) 546-2782

(905) 546-4925 (Police)


(905) 546-2424 x1771



(905) 574-7722 (x 401 for cruelty)




(905) 574-3433


(905) 574-3433




(905) 546-3570


(905) 528-8701

Related Content


Priority Response Pamphlet.pdf (158 KB)

Facts about 911