Hamilton Police Service would like to remind all pedestrians and motorists of several safety tips to reduce the number of accidents and fatalities on our roads:
- Look both ways before crossing the street and check for any traffic that is turning in an intersection.
- Cross the street only at marked crosswalks or traffic lights. Never cross in the middle of a block or between parked cars.
- Only cross at the beginning of a green light or when the pedestrian signal is lit. Do not cross once the light has turned to yellow or the “Don’t Walk” signal begins to flash. Never cross on a red light or solid “Don’t Walk” signal.
- Make sure drivers see you before you cross and cross only when the traffic has come to a complete stop.
- Be aware of the environmental conditions when you cross. You are not as visible in bad weather or when it is dark out.
- Wear bright or reflective clothing when walking at night or in low-light conditions. Make sure you are seen by motorists at all times.
- Get in and out of cars on the curb side of the street.
- No alcohol – it impairs your judgement
- Know your ability and allow enough time to get to where you are going
- Be cautious: Do not speed through intersections even if you have the right of way. Be especially careful at night, early evening, early morning, or if the sun is in your eyes.
- Slow down for older pedestrians who need more time to cross the road or children playing near or crossing the street. Be courteous to all pedestrians who share the road with you. Treat pedestrians with respect.
- Remember, stay alert and slow down on residential streets and through school zones.
- Date modified: