The Victim Quick Response Program (VQRP) provides short-term assistance to victims in the immediate aftermath of a violent crime. The goal of this program is to lessen the impact of violent crime through immediate support services, increase the safety of victims of violent crime and help prevent re-victimization.
How It Works
Victims and/or their support person can call Victim Services 24/7 at 905-546-4904 to make inquiries as to whether they are eligible for services provided by VQRP. Program applications relating to emergency expenses and funeral expenses must be submitted no later than 45 calendar days after the date of the crime. Program applications relating to counselling services and related transportation costs must be submitted no later than 90 calendar days after the date of the crime.
The program is one of last resort, meaning that the applicant lacks the personal resources to pay for the service; that there are no other private or public sources of financial assistance and that publicly funded counselling services have a waiting list for counselling that is greater than 20 days and the client has an urgent need for counselling.
Who May Apply
- A direct victim or immediate family member.
- A parent or custodial guardian of a victim who is under 16 years of age.
- A person authorized to act on behalf of a victim.
All applications will be reviewed by the Victim Services Branch in consultation with VQRP. , Ministry of the Attorney General, to determine if the applicant meets all of the required eligibility criteria for the program.
Eligible Criminal Code Offences
- Serious Assault
- Domestic Violence
- Sexual Assault
- Human Trafficking
- Hate Crimes
- Child Abuse
- Criminal Harrassment
- Attempt to Commit Murder
Financial Assistance For
- Emergency Expenses (maximum $1,000)
- Emergency Home Safety Expenses (repair/replace broken locks, doors, windows, security enhancements and removal of hate crime graffiti)
- Cellular Phones
- Emergency Transportation Costs
- Emergency Child Care and Dependent Care for
- Elderly or Special Needs Dependents
- Emergency Accommodation, Meals and Personal Care Items
- Emergency Vision Care (maximum $300)
- Crime Scene Cleanup (maximum $1,500)
- Funeral Expenses (maximum $5,000)
- Counselling Services (maximum $1,000)
- Specialized Enhanced Services for Victims of Human Trafficking
VQRP - French (PDF 81 KB)
- Date modified: