Handgun Cash and Drugs Seized in Gangs and Weapons Unit Investigation
Officers from the Gangs and Weapons Unit seized a loaded 9mm Ruger handgun, illicit drugs and an undisclosed amount of cash at a mountain area residence.
On Friday, November 27, 2020, members of the Hamilton Police Gangs and Weapons Unit were conducting surveillance at a property in the area of Stone Church Road East and Upper Wentworth Street. Investigators had received a judicial authorization to search that property and a vehicle associated to it. At that time, the suspect was observed exiting the residence and placing a satchel in the vehicle. Officers approached the male and arrested him without incident. The warrant to search the vehicle and property was subsequently executed.
As a result of the searches, police seized a loaded 9mm Ruger handgun, powered and crack cocaine and an undisclosed amount of cash
Malik Lutu was taken into police custody and his matter was addressed at the John Sopinka Courthouse on November 28, 2020. His charges are based on several firearm and drug-related offences.
- 9mm Ruger handgun (loaded)
- Undisclosed amount of Canadian currency
- Cocaine valued at approximately $2500.00
- Malik Lutu, 24-years-of-age from Hamilton
- Unauthorized possession
- Occupant of a motor vehicle with a firearm
- Unauthorized possession of a loaded restricted firearm
- Carry concealed firearm
- Careless storage of a firearm
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm knowing the possession is unauthorized
- Possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking
- Proceeds of crime under $5000.00
If you have any information that you believe could assist Police with the investigation into this crime, you are asked to contact Detective Sergeant Jason Cattle by calling 905-546-3887.
To provide information anonymously call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or submit your anonymous tips online at http://www.crimestoppershamilton.com