Handgun Seized During Traffic Enforcement
A 26-year-old Hamilton man is facing several firearm-related charges after being stopped by an officer conducting traffic enforcement early on Saturday, September 12, 2020. His matter was addressed later that day in court.
On Saturday, September 12, 2020, shortly before 7:30 a.m., a Hamilton Police officer observed a grey Hyundai Accent travelling eastbound on York Boulevard approaching Dundurn Castle. The vehicle was operating at a speed that was greater than the posted speed limit. A traffic stop was conducted and the driver provided information that led police to concentrate efforts on verifying his identity. Through continued investigation, police located a handgun inside the cabin of the vehicle. The driver was placed under arrest. His identity was confirmed and he was taken into police custody for a bail hearing.
Later that day, the male had his matter heard at the John Sopinka Courthouse where he faced serval firearm-related charges.
- .32 calibre Basque handgun
- Daniel Musafiri, 26 years from Hamilton
- Obstruct Police
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm
- Occupant motor vehicle knowing firearm present
- Knowledge possession of unauthorized possession of a firearm
- Possession of weapon obtained by crime
- Carry, use, transport, store firearm, weapon, ammunition
- Several Highway Traffic Act charges
If you have any information that you believe could assist Police with the investigation into this crime you are asked to contact the Central Division Staff Sergeant’s office by calling 905-546-4725.
To provide information anonymously call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or submit your anonymous tips online at http://www.crimestoppershamilton.com