Police Seize Loaded Gun Following the Arrest of a Wanted Male
Hamilton Police have seized a loaded firearm following the arrest a 21-year-old man who was released on bail and had their surety revoked.
On Friday, December 23, 2022, around 4:00 p.m, Hamilton Police responded to an address on Meritage Lane to arrest a male wanted on an outstanding warrant. When officers arrived, the male was observed seated in the driver's seat of a motor vehicle parked in the driveway of the residence. There was an adult female seated in the front passenger seat. When police requested the male to exit the car, he intentionally reversed his vehicle into a police cruiser in an attempt to flee. Unable to escape, officers seized the opportunity to safely remove the male from the driver's seat and arrest him.
During the investigation police located a loaded, semi-automatic pistol and ammunition in the vehicle. As a result, both the male and female occupants were arrested and charged with possession of the firearm. A search warrant was later executed on the vehicle and as a result of the search, the following items were located:
- One prohibited pistol magazine with a twenty-seven round capacity.
- Numerous rounds of 9mm ammunition.
- Fentanyl powder in separate packaging weighing a total of 40 grams.
- One bag of powdered cocaine weighing approximately 75 grams.
- A digital scale.
- A large quantity of cash.
As a result of the investigation the male and female have been jointly charged with the following:
- Possession of a Prohibited Firearm
- Knowledge of Unauthorized Firearm in a Vehicle
- Knowledge of Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
- Careless Use/Storage/Transport of a Firearm x 2
- Possession of a Prohibited Device
- Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking x 2 (Fentanyl & Cocaine)
- Proceeds of Crime Over $5,000
The accused male in this matter was on a release from the courts for previous drug trafficking charges and was on conditions to not possess any weapons/firearms/ammunition and not to occupy the driver's seat of a motor vehicle or to possess any non-prescribed drugs. He was additionally charged with:
- Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle
- Fail To Comply With Release Order x 5
Lizaine Darious Teton Welsh