Police Seek Witnesses to Early Morning Break & Enter
Hamilton Police continue to investigate an early morning break and enter to a mountain area convenience store. The vehicle used in the incident was left at the scene as the suspect fled. Police are asking witnesses to come forward with information to assist with solving this crime.
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019, shortly before 4:30 a.m., Hamilton Police responded to the Avondale Convenience Store located on Rymal Road East, for a break and enter. Once on scene, police located the suspect vehicle partially inside the store. The vehicle was still operating and the suspect was not present. Police believe the ATM machine was the target as it was originally situated at the front of the store. The suspect vehicle was seized for examination as police continue to investigate the incident.
There are no guarantees to stopping crime; however, Hamilton Police would like to remind owners that simple changes can make their business less attractive to criminal activity.
- Where possible, place the ATM in an area of the store that is not easily accessible or visible from a door or window.
- Maintain ATMs with a minimum amount of currency.
- Ensure existing video surveillance systems are functional and equipped to capture the interior and exterior of the business.
- Consider the installation of bollards and or concrete parking curbs outside windows and doors to prevent access into the business by vehicles.
- Remove any excess signage from windows and doors, allowing potential witnesses a better view of the store interior.
- Utilize exterior lighting to encourage witnesses.
For additional tips on Crime Prevention please access the following link: https://bit.ly/2Nm4LVa
If you have any information that you believe could assist Police with the investigation into any commercial business entries you are asked to contact Detective Sergeant Andrea Torrie or Detective Constable Greg Blunsdon at 905-546-2991.
To provide information anonymously call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or submit your anonymous tips online at http://www.crimestoppershamilton.com