Hamilton, Ontario,

13-Year-Old Females Investigated for Collision

Hamilton Police received information about an early morning fail to remain collision in the downtown area. Through investigation, police discovered the suspects were two 13-year-old females.

On Thursday, April 25, 2019, shortly after midnight, a grey Toyota sedan was travelling southbound on John Street approaching Main Street East with a green light. While passing through the intersection, the sedan was struck on the passenger side by a white Toyota Highlander which failed to stop for the red light controlling eastbound traffic on Main Street. The driver of the sedan was not injured. The Highlander continued onwards, failing to remain at the scene. A short time later a witness observed the Highlander on Spring Street. The vehicle’s occupants- young females- exited and were seen looking over the damage and then driving away. Police responded to the scene and located the licence plate for the Highlander. Attempts were made to contact the registered owner at his residence but were unsuccessful.

Shortly before 2:00 a.m., police located the Highlander in a residential area on the mountain. The driver at the time was a 13-year-old female and she had a 13-year-old female passenger. The driver was arrested for ‘Fail to Remain’ under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act. Further investigation revealed the driver is the daughter of the registered owner. He was contacted and advised of the incident. He was not aware his daughter had taken the vehicle. The owner declined to support the criminal charge of ‘Take auto without his consent.’ The Highlander was turned over to him.

Due to a lack of evidence police were unable to identify who was operating the Highlander at the time of the collision. The driver was issued a Provincial Offence Summons for ‘Drive motor vehicle no licence.’ She is scheduled to appear in court on Friday, June 7, 2019, to answer to the charge.

Police confirmed the driver and passenger were both reported as missing persons at the time of the investigation and they were returned to their respective residences.