Hamilton Police Increase Presence on Area Trails
Hamilton Police will be increasing patrols on area trails this weekend after two women reported being targeted while walking yesterday afternoon.
On Thursday, August 25, 2022, two women reported separate incidents of being touched by a male riding by on a bicycle. The incidents took place on the Chedoke Trail near Chedoke Golf Course. Hamilton Police believe the incidents yesterday are connected; however, do not have information at this time that the suspect in the incidents from yesterday is involved in previous incidents on the trails.
The assaults come after several incidents that have occurred on Hamilton trails since June 2022. As a result of these incidents the Hamilton Police Service has deployed extra resources to increase police presence on area trails to help ensure community safety.
Hamilton Police Service is encouraging the public to take extra precautions when accessing the trails or walking paths. Please consider the following safety tips:
· Walk/run along trails with a partner when possible
· Tell someone the route you are taking and the anticipated length of time you will be gone
· Avoid poorly lit paths or running/walking when it is dark
· Stick to populated paths when running/walking/cycling alone
· Carry a cellphone and/or personal alarm device
· Run/walk without headphones
· If you are confronted, be loud and shout for help
These investigations are ongoing, should you have any information that you believe may assist the police, you are asked to contact 905-546-4925.
To provide information anonymously, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or submit your anonymous tips online at~[ http://www.crimestoppershamilton.com/ ]http://www.crimestoppershamilton.com.