Hiking Safely in Hamilton
Hamilton Police are warning hikers to practice safety at all times when on Hamilton’s trails and to stay off the trails between sunset and sunrise.
With fall colours in full bloom, Hamilton Police expect the number of visitors to increase as individuals come to experience the colour changes on trails and waterfalls along the escarpment.
On Saturday, October 3, 2020, Hamilton Police responded to two separate missing person calls after daylight hours. While the parties were quickly located, visitors to the area are reminded that the sun sets much earlier in the evening as we progress through the season.
The following tips can help you stay safe on the trails this fall:
- Where possible, stay on the groomed paths
- Stay away from slopes and edges of the escarpment
- Visit during daylight hours
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Be aware of the terrain
- Carry a fully charged cell phone
- Obey posted signage
- Do not enter prohibited areas
While enjoying your hike, please continue to respect social distancing rules.